Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Roman Holiday

So I finally made it over to Rome! Geez, it seems like I've had tentative trips fall through about a million times this semester. Okay, not really. But my excursion into the ancient city couldn't have been better! My friend from LdM, Carissa, and I took a train over there on Saturday, where I was once again reunited with the fabulous Jenny Driver! Jenny had been to Rome when she as 13, but was excited to see the city with older eyes.

It is safe to say that Rome is one of my favorite cities in the world. Yes, it's dirty. Yes, the metro system smells like pee. Yes, the weather sucks. But otherwise...what a city! It is so full of life and history. It almost didn't even feel like Italy to me because it was so much more cosmopolitan than that. One minute you are strolling down the street, and then the next...BAM Colosseum. Amazing!

Here are some highlights from the trip. The only thing we didn't get to see was the Vatican Church because the line was MONSTROUS. But otherwise, this was one of my favorite weekend excursions thus far.

St. Pietro Basilica
The Vatican Museum (This painting is called "The School of Athens," and its by Raphael. One of my personal favorites.)
The Sistine Chapel (Another successful forbidden photo taken by yours truly)

The Trevi Fountain at night (my favorite site in Europe to date)
A visit to the Ice Club...a bar made completely of ice!

Arc de Constantine
The Colosseum
Pizza (duh)
The Ancient Ruins
The Spanish Steps
The Pantheon (which was under construction. Lame.)
And the best gelato I've had to date.
Thanks for a fantastic time, Rome! And of course, Carissa and Jenny :)



Whoa...it's December! I only have 2 and half weeks left here. Anyone know how to slow down time? Let me know.

Until then...
Kara

PS: Venice on Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment