Friday, December 17, 2010

Kara's Top 10 European Moments

My experience in Europe has been full of amazing memories. But there are just some that stand out above the rest. Here are my top 10 most epic moments from my time abroad!

1. Climbing to the Top of the Duomo
Florence, Italy
439 steps ascend to the top of Brunelleschi's Dome, which leads to the most stunning view of Florence. I am really glad that I did this at the mid-semester point, because I was able to recognize all of the sights in Florence. It truly felt like "my town." I loved sharing this moment with my parents!



2. My night at Copper's
Dublin, Ireland
This was probably my favorite night of going out, not only in Ireland but in all of Europe. From the fireworks-filled Dart ride, to my Slovakian stalker Tibby, to being hit on more times than ever before, to dancing to the Riverdance song with my Knott's coworkers, to waking up in a leopard-print onesie, the night was fantastic to start to finish. And was an indicator as to why I love the Irish so damn much.


3. Oktoberfest
Munich, Germany
Sometimes, I dream about returning to Germany's biggest party. The beer was amazing, the atmosphere unmatched, and no hangover in the morning. I will be back someday. Or who knows...maybe every year.


4. Seeing the Trevi Fountain at Night
Rome, Italy
Before I came to Italy, one of the only monuments I desperately wanted to see was the Trevi Fountain. I had seen it in movies, in my history book, in photos...I had to see this piece of art in real life! The way it lights up at night makes even the most cynical person's heart melt (ahem). And best of all, I ate some amazing gelato in front of it with two dear friends. Could life get any better at that moment? Now to see if my wish will come true :)


5. Playing Tourist in London
London, England
When I see a famous building or monument, I get starstruck. It's as though these places were a figment of my imagination beforehand. So being able to see the London Eye, Big Ben, Parliament, and Buckingham Palace all in one day absolutely blew my mind! It wasn't too shabby doing it in a double decker bus with the amazing Jenny Driver either!


6. Hiking Through the Swiss Alps
Trento, Italy
Okay, so maybe it was the Italian side of the Swiss Alps. But still, for someone who loathes hiking, and is not really the outdoorsy type, this experience was incredible for me. I mean, how many people can say that they have hiked even close to the Swiss Alps? Or have even seen them? Yeah, that's what I thought.


7. Daytrip to Venice
Venice, Italy
It was never in my original plans to go to Venice. I was set on my last trip to be to Paris. But when that fell through, I knew that God was telling me to go see the sinking city instead. And oh my goodness, I am SO GLAD I did. Venice is INCREDIBLE. It is exactly what I pictured the city to look like: canals everywhere, beautiful architecture, and sexy gondolier men taking lovers down the river. I had a fantastic seafood lunch, watched a Murano glass blowing demonstration, and explored what I now consider to be one of my favorite cities in the world.


8. Bistecca di Fiorentina
Florence, Italy
When I came to Italy, I promised myself that I would not fall in love. But then the Bistecca Fiorentina walked into the room on a wooden platter and life was never the same. The steak appears to be rare, but in actuality is cooked to perfection. It was the most amazing meal of my life, and I literally teared up when it was over.



9. Cinque Terra
Cinque Terra, Italy
"The Five Lands" of Italy was an awesome experience. The hike was worse than that of the Swiss Alps, but was so fulfilling and worth it. We had excellent weather, despite the rain pouring the day before. Laying on the rocks in Vernazza and floating in the salty ocean was just as close as I came to paradise on this trip.



10. Biking through Lucca
Lucca, Italy
I think the reason I enjoyed my day trip to Lucca so much was because it was simple and easy. There was no stress caused in terms of getting there, the whole day was relatively inexpensive, and I travelled with two very easy-going people. Riding bikes was a blast despite the gloomy weather conditions, and Lucca in itself is such a cute city!




Honorable mentions: Seeing the Statue of David; "One Night in Bristol 2010;" Club Flo; Graduation Night in Galway; Glendalough; The Colosseum Tour; Field Trip to San Gimignano; Piccadilly Circus; Piazza della Michelangelo; The Bermuda Triangle; Austrian Christmas Markets

No comments:

Post a Comment