Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oktoberfest Recap

Oktoberfest....how do I even begin a blog entry about the world's biggest party? Do I start by saying that it was the 200th Anniversary of the event? Or that the Stein's are as big as your head, and contain the alcohol content of 5 American beers? Or that I am now obsessed with schnitzel? Well, let's start at the beginning...

We left Florence at 11:30p.m., and arrived in Munich around 9:30 the next morning. I know I've mentioned before that I'm not really the outdoorsy-type. It's not that I'm spoiled, I just don't "rough it" that much. Well, we decided to CAMP for the weekend, with an Australian-run company called Stoked. The minute we stepped onto the campsite, we were handed toilet paper and a beer. And hence the tone was set for the rest of the weekend.

The weather was perfect as we headed to Oktoberfest. The festival itself is the most colorful and elaborate event I had ever been too. The architecture of all the beer halls, rides, and food stands were nothing like I expected, and was positively gorgeous. Just the sight of the festival alone was an indication that this was going to be an awesome weekend.


We spent the first day on the quest for a good beer hall, and started downing Steins the minute we found one. German beer goes down so smooth, and I am NOT a beer person at all. And the Steins are ENORMOUS. And expensive. Hence why I came home broke that weekend. Oh, and my new favorite beer is called a Radler, which is half beer half lemonade. AKA Heaven.


People from all over the world come to enjoy Oktoberfest's festivities. We met people who came from Germany (duh), Italy, Siberia, France, Spain...and by people, I mean older men who wanted to take pictures with American girls. But hey...I got 2 free beers from some Siberian guys, so you gotta do what you gotta do.


We headed back to the campsite where it immediately started HAILING. Yes, hailing. And I hear California is in the middle of a heat wave? Please send some of that over here. The camp turned into a muddy mess, and wrecked my newish boots. Awesome. Not to mention that sleeping at night was FREEZING. But that's all I'm going to complain about the campsite, cause a bed is a bed when you need to pass out, right?

The next morning, we woke up to rain, rain, and more rain. Yet we proceeded to Oktoberfest where we got into the most happening tent of all: Hofrbau. We found a table right in the center, right next to some crazy French dudes. The beer started being served at oh, you know...9:00a.m. Breakfast of champions, no?


We immediately bonded with the people standing around us. It's amazing how beer unifies people! I guess. The band would loudly play drinking songs, and after every number, we'd stick our Steins up high, cheers each other, and chug. Among these songs were "Sweet Caroline" and Heeeeeeeeeeeey hey baby! OOO! AAAAH! It was such a crazy atmosphere, and I'm pretty sure it can't be matched by any other "party scene" in the world.


This marks one of the most glorious moments of my 22 years on this planet. I already miss the people, the halls, the beer, the colors, the French guys, the beer, the food, and most importantly, the beer. If I could go back to Oktoberfest every day, I would. It was just so...joyful and carefree. Except I would have a beer gut the size of 15 steins, and I would overdose on brautwurst. Either way, Oktoberfest was pure MAGIC. But next time...I'm getting a hotel.


The next day took a more sobering (pun intended) turn, as we went to explore more of Munich and see the Dachau Concentration Camp. It was quite the 360 from the day before, but I feel it was something I needed to see. In fact, if you are ever in Germany, you need to visit one of these camps. I've been to both Holocaust museums in LA and Washington DC, but being at the real thing? Out of this world.


It was a total out-of-body experience to be walking on the grounds where so many people died for no valid reason other than the hatred of another group of people. While Dachau wasn't necessarily a death camp, thousands of people died in it due the horrifying living conditions. The most shocking part was walking through the Krematorium, where they would burn all of the corpses. We actually walked into a shower where they would gas people who were too weak to work in the camp anymore (even though Dachau never claimed to doing mass murders.)


It was really hard to stand there and visualize what happened. While tourists flocked the sight, the idea that this place was anything but a tourist attraction in 1941 gave me chills. It's something I don't like to think about, but if I was alive during this time and living in Europe, my family and I would have been put in one of these camps. If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong, Dad) we might potentially have descendants who were affected by the Holocaust. It was a very humbling and sad experience, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.


Sorry that this entry was so long...but I don't think either thing I participated in while I in Munich could be brought to justice without some explanation. I would love to return some day, and see more of what Germany has to offer. And to go back to Oktoberfest. Duh.

Up next: The Amalfi Coast. Please pray we have good weather!!! I want to see this Blue Grotto everyone keeps talking about.

Love you and miss you all....
Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment